The Michigan PFAS Action Response Team (MPART) formally brings together several state agencies to investigate and remediate contamination by per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS); develop and maintain cooperative relationships among local, state, and federal agencies; understand the science, and inform and empower the public to make educated decisions.

MPART was established in November 2017, when Governor Rick Snyder signed Executive Directive No. 2017-4. Within MPART there are 15 different formal workgroups dedicated to PFAS topics, such as drinking water, human health, wildlife, and animal health/food safety, among others. MPART also has two advisory panels, the Science Advisory Board, which consists of national scientific experts, and the Local Health Advisory Council, which coordinates state and local public health efforts on PFAS response.

Michigan is currently conducting a comprehensive, statewide study of PFAS in public water supplies and schools with their own wells. The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy launched this initiative in May 2018, and will test 1,380 public water supplies and 461 schools, accounting for roughly 75 percent of Michigan residents’ drinking water. The other 25 percent of the population rely on their own private wells. All Native American tribes in Michigan were offered the opportunity to participate in the study.